When you first learn to play an instrument, it’s usually on your own or with a teacher. Then, when you get better and more advanced, you will most likely spend more time around other people who play music and realize how much you enjoy being around musicians who are similar to you. A shared love of music is an amazing thing that helps people come together and can even lead to the formation of a band. Whether you are just starting out or have been playing music for years, here are some of the main benefits of joining a band:
- Teamwork and Commitment – Playing in a band teaches you how to work together with other people toward a common goal. You work to make yourself and each other better, which will sometimes require making sacrifices. You also commit to each other and the vision you have for the band, so you learn to hold others and yourself accountable in order to reach your goals.
- Building Confidence – Joining a band also helps you boost your confidence because you will regularly be playing your instrument in front of your bandmates, making decisions with them about the band, and potentially even playing live shows in front of an audience.
- Socialize and Build New Friendships – Being in a band lets you socialize and build new friendships with your bandmates. You get to know people on a deeper level and build a relationship with them, bonding over your shared love of music and what you are creating together.
- Sense of Achievement – Another benefit of playing in a band is the sense of achievement you can feel for starting something, working hard at it, committing to other people, honing your craft, and making something where there was nothing before.
- Physical Benefits – Playing music is difficult and requires a lot of physical coordination. If you play live shows, you also have to haul around all of your equipment and then play the entire show. This keeps you active, works out your body, and even helps reduce your stress levels.
- Increased Opportunities – Another benefit of joining a band is an increase in musical opportunities. If you’re interested in pursuing music in any capacity, it will most likely be much easier to accomplish as a band than if you were to go at it alone. Whether you want to be a solo act or not, the music you create will still require help from other musicians.
- It’s More Fun – Let’s just be completely honest with ourselves, almost everything is better when we’re around other people who share our interests. Being in a band can lead to more fun than if you were to only play your music on your own. Playing music and hanging out with your bandmates will provide many enjoyable moments that you may carry with you for the rest of your life.
If you are interested in joining a band, The Rockit Live Foundation is the best place to do it! We aim to help develop, nurture, and inspire young musicians to reach their full artistic potential through live music education offered at Brookdale Community College in Lincroft, New Jersey. We’re a professional rock school that wants our students to succeed, which is why we have auditions for our program, bring kids together in bands, and offer scholarships to help young musicians receive a quality education. Auditions for the Rockit Academy 2021 Fall Session take place on Saturday, September 11th, so be sure to submit your application if you’re interested in participating! You can also find out more information about how you can get involved with our organization by exploring our programs, making a donation, or contacting us today!